BSPA May 21st 2020 season update

Published on 21st May 2020
Author Lawrence Heppell

From BSPA press office:

BRITISH Speedway remains united in ‘cautious optimism’ about some league racing this season.

All three leagues have been keeping in touch to measure the impact of no racing so far this season and how it affects business going forward.

And the message is clear – all three leagues are refusing to give up on the 2020 season and are continuing to urge fans to ‘do the right thing’.

Rob Godfrey, chairman of the British Speedway Promoters Ltd, said: “Things are changing on a rapid basis and we are all encouraged to see it appears people are continuing to do the right thing to give us a chance of racing this year.

“The Premiership clubs had a catch up on Tuesday via video conference call, the Championship clubs are in regular dialogue and Jason Pipe, back as National Development League co-ordinator, is in touch with his clubs.

“There is little doubt in my own mind that some league racing will be possible this year. We can implement social distancing measures in stadia, both inside and outside the venue.

“We realise various club have different circumstances regarding their business, but I really do believe there will be some speedway this year.”

Damien Bates, vice chairman of the British Speedway Promoters Ltd and promoter of Sheffield, said: “We had a very productive catch-up online with all Premiership clubs and it was good for us all to get together to discuss the situation.

“We are a long way from abandoning the season. We still believe there are possibilities, strong possibilities, that our sport can take place this season with the appropriate safety measures in place for everyone in a stadium.

“Naturally we are keeping a close eye on the travel situation because there are several riders who are in Poland right now and we need to see movement allowed without quarantine. It’s a fluid situation.

“We are continuing to look at a full quota of fixtures, or perhaps half a season with 12 meetings per club in the Premiership plus play-offs. We are keeping our options open right now, all three leagues are, but in any situation we remain in the hands of the government.

“We believe we need to make another assessment when the government update us on the next phase of recovery from this crisis which will be early in July.

“In the meantime we urge all supporters of every club throughout the country to stay patient and be assured we are doing everything we can to bring some racing to them this year.”

Lawrence Heppell

Related Posts

KEN MARSHALL

20 November 2020
News
Lawrence Heppell

Everyone at Berwick Speedway is saddened to learn of the passing of…

TATUM’S TRUTH ON TURBULENT SEASON

11 November 2020
News
Lawrence Heppell

KELVIN Tatum, one of the highest profile signings in Berwick’s illustrious history, is…

DIRECTORS CUT PREMIERE!….

7 November 2020
News
Lawrence Heppell

Tune in at 7pm tonight and enjoy Tapes Up Productions ‘Directors Cut’…

THANK YOU KEV! 

7 November 2020
News
Lawrence Heppell

King Kev has set off on his journey back to Australia and…

U-21 FINAL RACE JACKET SPONSORS! 

23 October 2020
News
Lawrence Heppell

Race jacket sponsorship for Wednesday’s ATPI British Under 21 Final ‘Powered By’…